- Realizing—for the first time—that you could read
- Standing in the stacks of a great library, marveling at the accumulated knowledge
- As a teacher, seeing enlightenment on students’ faces
- Realizing as a researcher that you knew something never before known
- Holding the galley proof of your first research paper
- Seeing your first program come to life
- Feeling the power of shared thought in a great research team
Each of us became researchers via personal paths. Our stories differ, and each is interesting as an example of computing’s intellectual attraction and vibrancy. Share yours – it matters.